In the U.S.,Canada and other parts of the world, Grips are lighting and rigging technicians in the motion picture industry.

In the UK, Australia and most parts of Europe Grips are not involved in lighting and a Grip is solely responsible for camera support.

The term "Grip" dates back to the early era of the circus. Some have suggested the name comes from the 1930s–40s slang term for a tool bag or "grip" that these technicians used to carry their tools to work. Another popular theory states that in the days of hand-cranked cameras, it would be necessary for a few burly men to hang on to the tripod legs to stop excessive movement of the camera. These men became known as the "good grips"—as they were constantly being instructed to "keep a good grip on the tripod".

There are many types of positions in the Grip department and they all hold an important role.The Key Grip is the head of the department and works closely with the Director of Photography and the Gaffer to create lighting set-ups and camera support necessary for a scene.

Grips perform a crucial role in ensuring the safety on set and although the work is physically demanding and the hours are long, the work can be very rewarding.

To learn more and stay connected subscribe to

#grip #gripsupport #griprigs

Recent Posts

See All

Grip Tool Checklist

Every grip should have these ... Wrench Knife with Razor Serrated Knife 3/16" Speed Wrench Tape Measure Laser Measurer 1/2" x 9/16" Ratcheting Wrench Cutting Pliers ( aka Dykes ) Pliers Hammer Scaffol